Dust mite proof bedding covers are a sure way to protect yourself from dust mites.
please click the images below…
(This site is under construction: Links still work and there’s lots of information on dust mites to be foundbelow and here. Please stay and have a look around).
Dust Mites… are evil! Get them out of your life!!!
I suffered for years with allergies before I discovered the simple solution that gave me back my health and allowed me to sleep so well.
Please… Cover Your Bedding!!!
To resolve my own health issues, I extensively researched methods to control dust mites and bed bugs.
I made this website to help you fast track your solution to better health and sleep.
I have reviewed several products here so you can select the right dust mite proof bedding covers for you
Learn about Dust Mites
What are Dust Mites and Bed Bugs?
Dust mites cause millions of people to suffer from allergic reactions. Also know as house dust mites, they are very common around the home, in your pillows, sheets, duvets and mattresses. They are microscopic, up to only 0.2mm (200 micron 200 micometre =200μm). Dust mites live and breed in warm, humid environments such as bedding, where they feed on your dead skin. bedclothes and mattresses are an ideal habitat for them to thrive. The main cause of allergic reactions is their droppings and debris from their dead bodies. More detail
Bed bugs are a different and larger pest at 1 to 5mm in size, large enough to be seen with the naked eye. Bed bugs bite the skin and feed on your blood and are also a significant cause of allergic reactions. They can leave rash or bite marks that may result in allergic reaction or infection. When you control the smaller dust mites, you also control bed bugs.
Dust Mite Allergy Symptoms
- sneezing and hay fever like symptoms
- allergic Rhinitis (slight to severe irritation and swelling at the back of the nose)
- dermatitis, eczema, itchy skin, rashes
- coughing, tight chest, wheezing, or shortness of breath
- inflamed sinuses and headaches
- poor and broken sleep resulting in fatigue, depression, poor concentration and learning ability
Mattress and bedding covers: A fitted sheet with a barrier on top
Encasements: completely encase your bedding with zip-up covers
Simple mattress & pillow covers
From all my research, I believe the best way to protect yourself and family from allergens in your bed is to cover mattresses and pillow and even duvets.
I review the best products below that let you cover your bedding to ensure you have a barrier between you and any dust mites and bed bugs.
OI really like the Free From Worries Terry Cotton Topped Mattress Covers. They are cheap and easy to put on your bed. They cover your mattress like a fitted sheet and provide a dust mite proof barrier that reaches to the edges of your mattress top.
Terry Cotton topped Mattress Protector
- 160GSM Cotton Terry Cloth
- 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector, PU Coating
- Dust Mite Barrier Eliminates Dust Mites
- Soft Touch Terry Cover
- Rustle Free
- Keeps Your Mattress New and Fresh
- Machine Washable
Non Woven Mattress Protector (without terry cotton top)
- Non Woven Fabric (Polypropylene)
- 100% Waterproof Mattress protector
- Dust Mite Barrier Eliminates Dust Mites
- Keeps Your Mattress New and Fresh
- Machine Washable
Completely seal your entire mattress in a zip-up encasements
I very much like the idea of mattress encasings. Your mattress, pillows and duvet can be completely sealed in this product. That means there is no way dust, dust mites or bed bugs can get in or out anywhere.
Evolon® Mattress & Pillow Encasing
- Mattress and Pillows are completely encased
- No rustling sound, no ‘plastic’ feel
- baby safe
- environmentally friendly
- Evolon® microfilament material provides a complete and perfectly durable physical barrier against dust mites, bed bugs, their eggs and feces.
- Evolon® 1 μm (micrometre = micron = 0.001mm) microfilament technology (space between threads) ensures a complete physical barrier.
- Dust mites size range is 200-300μm (=0.2-0.3 mm), feces are 10 – 40μm (=0.010 – 0.04mm). Bed bugs are larger with eggs at 0.8 mm, adults at 5 mm and feces at 0.7mm).
- Many other products on the market neglect to provide the thickness of their product’s weave (space between threads) which must be less than 10μm (ideally les than 5μm). They often only provide a barrier against the larger bed bugs and no protection against dust mites.T
- Evolon® fabric is breathable, lasts wash after wash and dries very quickly.
- Eco-friendly manufacturing process.
- The fabric is not coated, has no PVCs or chemical post treatments.
- Tested and Safe for contact with baby skin.
- Rustle-free, comfortable, with no “plastic” feeling.
- Sleep Safe ZipCover Evolution mattress encasements provide total bedbug, dustmite, dander, and allergen protection.
- Bleach safe zip cover is durable for repeated washings. It’s the fabric that protects, not chemicals.
- No need for chemical dust mite sprays to control dust mites and bed bugs.
- Wash and dry before first use for cotton like comfort.
Why encase your bedding?
Dust mite protection – Killing dust mites
Dust mites are very difficult to kill off. They breed quickly in pillows, bed sheets and mattresses, which are an ideal habitat for them to feed and thrive.
I believe the only sure and safe method of control is a physical barrier that separates yourself from the allergens of dust mites and bed bugs.
This is achieved by encasing mattresses, duvets and pillows in fully zipped dust and allergen-proof material for complete dust mite protection.
Fully encasing your bedding provides a physical barrier that tiny dust mites, and thereby the larger bed bugs, cannot penetrate.
Encasement of bedding avoids the use of harmful chemical sprays and the need for regularly vacuum mattresses.
Cotton dust mite proof products is an option. However, be aware that the fibres of some cotton products may move with use and washing and this may alter the space between threads.
Soft toys are also a haven for dust mites. Kill dust mites in soft toys by regularly freezing soft toys over night, hot tumble drying or washing soft toys with eucalyptus oil.
Get Rid of Dust Mites – my preferred tips
- Encase all bedding in dust and allergen-proof material
- Wash all sheets, duvet covers and pillow cases weekly-fortnightly at minimum 140°F/60°C to kill and remove dust mites and bed bugs
- Vacuum carpets, curtains and wipe surfaces with a damp cloth weekly-fortnightly
- Soft toys can be frozen overnight, hot tumble dried, hot washed (140°F/60°C) or washed with eucalyptus oil.
Evolon® Bedding Cover
Q. Where to get Evolon® products?
A. You can get them here from Amazon
Q. Can I wash Evolon® products?
A. Yes you can easily Evolon® covers. Wash new covers to soften it’s feel, then every 1 – 2 months as dust mites may begin to gather on it’s surface.
Q. Do Evolon® product form a full barrier to dust mites and bed bugs?
A. Yes they do. The material weave of Evolon® covers are much smaller than tiny dust mites and the larger bed bugs. They cannot pentrate the material.
Q. Are dust mites really a big problem?
A. Yes! Doctors often advise that patients protect themselves against dust mites to reduce many related ailments. Dust mites and their feces and dead bodies are one of the very worse causes of allergic reactions. Reactions can be debilitating and life limiting. Symptoms include mild to severe asthma, sneezing, allergic Rhinitis, dermatitis, eczema, itchy skin, rashes and poor sleep resulting in depression, poor concentration and learning ability.
Q. Is Evolon® ok for sensitive skin and babies?
A. Yes it is. Evolon® fabric had been tested for baby use and has certification (below), to verify this.
Evolon® Bedding Protection
(Almost 1000 more reviews can be seen on the Amazon links on this site)
So I did a little googling and I learned about dust mite allergies. Well, I thought I would give a dust mite protector a try. I put it on my pillow, put my case over it, and it worked! No more sniffles at night.
Further Dust Mite Research
All papers sited below detirmine the high prevalence of dust mites and their alllergens in bedding, household fabrics and soft toys. The conclusion from all suggests encasing bedding in dust-proof material is the only way to confidently control dust mites.
UK Nation Health Service: Dust mites health effects and dute mite control in the home. https://www.thh.nhs.uk/documents/_Patients/PatientLeaflets/paediatrics/allergies/PI018-Dust_Mite_Allergy_A4_May13.pdf
Synthetic or feather pillows? Feather pillows often have tighter weave cases. While less dust mites can penetrate them, allergens are still present. Therefore, cover all pillows. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2004.01972.x/full https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/bf91/2246fe1b20168d2af0d14a8f893b5e7c873c.pdf
Dust mites in soft toys: How to kill dust mites in soft toys. Freezing soft toys, hot tumble dry or wash soft toys with eucalyptus oil. All these methods reduce dust mite allergens. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1399-3038.2011.01144.x/full
Allergic reactions; asthma, allergic rhinitis and eczema.
European Study: Dust mites are one of the greatest causes of allergies around the home. The UCB institute of allergy. European Allergy White Paper; Allergic disease as a public health problem.Braine-l’ Alleud: UCB Pharmaceutical Sector, 1997.
Eczema, rhinitis (hayfever) and asthma in children caused by dust mites. http://housedustmite.com/allergy-and-the-mite
Evolon®is a product designed and created by Freudenberg company www.freudenberg.com
Preservation of resources
Evolon® microfilament textiles are 2 to 4 times lighter than traditional materials for which they can be used as a substitute with equivalent or superior performance.
The manufacture of Evolon® textiles consumes around 400 times less water than the production of cotton fabrics.
Furthermore, the water used during manufacturing is recycled and re-used internally. Thanks to this process, Evolon® was awarded a special environmental prize: Eco-Trophée du Parc Naturel Régional des Ballons des Vosges.
The manufacturing site of Evolon® textiles holds the following certifications:
- ISO 9001 (quality)
- ISO 14001 (environment)
- OHSAS 18001 (safety)
- ISO 50001 (energy management systems)
Evolon microfilament fabrics have been granted the Oelo-Tex mark (standard 100, product class 1). This certifies that they are free of harmful substances and suitable for contact with baby skin.
ECARF: Evolon® for dust-mite-proof bedding
Evolon® has been awarded the independent quality seal of the European Centre for Allergy Research Foundation (ECARF). This aims to help allergy sufferers to choose appropriate goods and services by certifying the quality of products as well as services according to strict standards.
Freudenberg was awarded a special prize for the water recycling process used in manufacturing Evolon®: the “Eco-Trophée du Parc Naturel Régional des Ballons des Vosges”.
UV Standard 801
Evolon® microfilament fabrics have been awarded ultra-violet protection factor 80 for several product variants. This is the highest value of the UV Standard 801.
Certified for HP latex inks and M1 flame-retardant certified
Evolon® printing media with references EVO 100 PMB FR, EVO 130 PMB FR and EVO 170 PMB FR are certified for HP latex inks.*
These Evolon® product references are also certified as flame-retardant under French fire regulations and have been awarded M1 classification.